How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Background I live in NB Canada and I develop Indie Video

Resolved Question:


I live in NB Canada and I develop Indie Video Games for the Xbox 360. These games are are published through Microsoft. Presently, I'm an unregistered small business.

Generally, I outsource art, music, and sound effects to contractors around the world. The arrangements vary, but there are normally paid a fixed dollar amount or a percentage of the profits. The contractors are located in the US and Britain (South Wales).


Basically, I want to protect myself and have the contractors sign clear contracts around the payment arrangement and the IP of the assets and the games. I'm looking at the form in the link below, but I'm not sure if it applies outside of Canada? Is the contract Governed by my physical location or do I need something for both locations?


Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You can have a contract honored in any country as long as the parties agree to sign such a contract. All countries will honor contracts written in other countries. The US and all of the European Countries and Asian countries will honor contracts from other countries and also you can insert a "choice of law and forum clause" which can mandate that the law and place to dispute a contract must be in your country.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you