I have a blog called The Revivalist: Word from the Appalachian South. I am not incorporated. I am about to add a new feature that may be considered a contest:
- A new section of the site will give users the chance to rate their favorite handmade goods from the Appalachian South. The artists with the highest ratings win prizes.
- Specifically, artists (and merchants who sell artists' products) will submit their goods, paying a small submission fee.
- Those that are accepted will be displayed on the site.
- Visitors will rate the goods.
- The goods will have a rotation schedule -- each week, the four oldest items are removed and four new ones are added. Each item will be featured for four weeks.
- The highest rated artists will win prizes (either quarterly or annually; this is TBD).
A few questions:
1) Is this subject to any gaming/contest laws?
2) If so, what are they?
3) Does the fact that I'm an individual, not a corporation
, affect things?