Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a sole proprietorship and signed a contract with Salesforce.com.

I thought that it was...
I have a sole proprietorship and signed a contract with Salesforce.com. I thought that it was a monthly contract, but apparently it is for the whole year. Therefore, they are trying to charge me about $750 for the year in order for me to clear up the balance. I never liked the service, so I didn't use it except to test a few contacts. I have bad personal credit anyway, so I'm not too concerned about credit. I'm more concerned about any judgements that they can try to enforce against me. There is a collection agency calling and emailing about 4 times per week. I'd pay the $750 if I felt that it is right, but in this case, I really feel cheated by what the sales rep told me. What can I tell the agency as my reason for not paying? Also, what is the possible enforcement that the agency can assess?
9/1/2011
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. Your best bet at this point to keep the collection agency at bay is to be very aggressive in contesting the claim itself. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining why you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will: i) result in you suing the companyfor breach of contract and a deceptive trade practice action, and ii) on behalf of the collection agency, constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of things for you.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Thank you. I need to clarify one point: should I be specific in my letter in detailing what I consider to be the deceptive practices/breach of contract or do I just use the main points that you suggested and leave it general?
I would leave it general and them guessing. No reason to show your hand yet. :)
Richard, Attorney
Richard, Attorney