MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I plan to operate an online business buying and reselling Coach

I plan to operate an online business buying and reselling Coach handbags. I have been doing just that on eBay for a few months and have has some success but I would like to start my own website for my business. I buy my purses pre-owned, but I make sure they are authentic before buying them because I only buy from people who shop at a Coach store or outlet, and I also research the bag itself before purchasing. I have never been a Coach employee and have never signed anything that says I agree not to compete with Coach. Question #1: Is it legal to buy a pre-owned Coach bag and then resell it for a profit? Should I keep record of the steps I take to verify that the purse is authentic?

On my website, I plan to create collage art for each purse that I have for sale. My art would be similar to what you see here: http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/art.jpg. I would make sure all of the photos in my collage were not copyright protected, and I will be taking many of my own photos. Question #2: Is it legal to take photos of my own Coach bags, then add those photos to an art collage I put together, then market and sell the art? If I can't sell the art, can I use the art as a way to market my pre-owned bags?

Thank you kindly!
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, it is legal to buy authentic bags and re-sell them for a profit. You do of course need proof that the bags are authentic, and should therefore record the serial numbers.

So long as the images are not copyright protected, you can use them. You can also use your own photos to market the bags.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.