How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have music/ entertainment question. I cannot see a section

Customer Question

I have music/ entertainment question. I cannot see a section re: entertainment law on iPad I am using. May have cut off before. Anyway. I sang three songs(recorded) for a professional woman in her studio. I am not professional yet. She said I get 5% or singing them if they sell. And that would include royalties etc. However we did not write up a contract yet. I also since wrote lyrics , melody and sang another song with her , and she did the chord structure,background music. How much % would I get then? I would say 50% for that. Do you think the percentage pay is fair and please help me get a contract? Are there ones online. How would I find it?
Thank You
Optional Information:
State/Country relating to question: California

Already Tried:
Googled music contracs
I already asked this question to one expert. Thought I'd give it another shot. He gave me a link to two sep contracts. Can you read everything discussed Between other attorney and I on here? Are you familiar with % of music recording that should be given to each artist depending in how much contributed?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
I actually was the one who gave you the contracts. Do you have some follow up questions that I did not answer in the other thread. You do need two separate contracts here because it is for two different things, one is the songwriting the other is your performance of the song.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh sorry no. I am happy with your response. Thank you! I'm researching and may go to an attorney. Thanks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
No problem. Going to the attorney is beneficial to you because it allows them to take those boilerplate agreements and actually customize them to your specific situation and needs.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”