How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JBaxLaw Your Own Question
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 11396
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
JBaxLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She has already moved out of state and I am close behind but

Customer Question

She has already moved out of state and I am close behind but was at the home cleaning up. When I would not sign he asked if we were married, I said yes but I would not sign as I was not involved. He then thru it at the front door and walked away. I did not pick it up, but want to know is as we are married A process server came to my door to serve my wife for a civil suit. I would not sign as I am not involved. does the above actions mean she has been served? And if I pick it up and throw it away will that cause a problem?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 6 years ago.

I am an expert at JustAnswer and will be assisting you. I would like to address a few important issues before answering your question.

Please remember that I receive no credit for assisting you unless you accept my response. You cannot accept when I make an inquiry, rather you can only do so after you have received an answer. I answer questions based on the amount offered and rely on customers to follow through and "accept." Please remember that this is a chat or a dialogue so please reply to me if you have any questions regarding the information I provide.

Please note, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, no legal advice is being provided, no attorney-client relationship will be established and only general information is provided so that you may analyze your situation.


In Georgia, where personal service is required a process server may leave documents with a person of suitable age, an adult, at the defendant's residence.

Thank you
JBaxLaw and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Did the fact that I would not sign mean anything?

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 6 years ago.
Yes. In addition, a party who is out-of-state can challenge improper service on that basis. When service is by a sherrif's department employee they will typically fill out a certificate showing service occurred and when service is by a private process server a signature proving receipt is generally required. There are alternate forms of service which are only available when standard service is not possible, which would not seem applicable in the situation described.

Thank you