Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have 3 different home internet businesses. Someone at my

bank told me I needed...
I have 3 different home internet businesses. Someone at my bank told me I needed a separate EIN number for each small business checking account that I want to open. I already had 2, so I applied online for another one a few days ago. I was just reading more about EIN numbers online and it looks like I should only need one. Was the person at my bank completely wrong, or do some banks require that you have different EIN numbers for each bank account? Also, if I did only need 1, will I get in any kind of trouble with the I.R.S. for having 3?
8/3/2011
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Legally, there is no reason for it but banks are notorious for believing that they understand what tax law and corporation law requires when they really don't. It is likely just their bank policy, because there is no law requiring it.

No, you won't get into any trouble with the IRS. You don't have to have separate EINs but it doesn't hurt anything.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney