How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Law Your Own Question
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
MShore Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A dentist and myself want to partner in a practice. I am not

Resolved Question:

A dentist and myself want to partner in a practice. I am not a dentist. How is this possible? If we file a c-corp will that work? Sears does this, how can they do it? Illinoi based.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Unfortunately Illinois prohibits the corporate practice of law, save hospitals employing physicians.

While licensed hospitals and hospital affiliates may employ
licensed physicians if they meet certain requirements (see
210 Ill. Comp. Stat. 85/10.8 (2005),Berlin v. Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Ctr., 688 N.E.2d 106, 113 (Ill. 1997), other corporate entities are prohibited from doing so.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do we get around this? will I have to start my own corp. and be his management company?
Expert:  MShore Law replied 6 years ago.
You could buy the building where the practice will operate out of and charge the practice for lease but you cannot own a portion of the medical practice. In the alternative, you could acts as a billing service for the practice and charge a percentage of net collections for billing and management services.
MShore Law and 5 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you