Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

My father, a Cuban citizen, signed an Assignment of Interest

My father, a Cuban citizen...
My father, a Cuban citizen, signed an Assignment of Interest in Estate re undivided share of mineral rights in North Dakota in favor of his younger brother, a US resident, in 1967. It was signed on a form from the state of North Dakota in Cuba (looks as if it was signed in ND but was not), had 2 witnesses but was not notarized nor stamped and sealed as it should have been.
I have been told by a reliable source that that Assignment would not have been, nor is it now, a valid legal document in Cuba.
My question is: Can a document that is not valid in its country of origin, be valid in North Dakota courts today?
Both of these men are now dead and never mentioned or discussed this asset with their children. If you need a copy that Assignment or any other information please contact me.
I need a “yes” or “no” answer plus citation, not a “maybe”. Thank you.
8/1/2011
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. In order for this to have been a legally binding document, it would have been required to have been notarized. Since it was not, it was not a legally binding documents. I do not have a citation as the legal research necessary is really beyond the scope of our role as experts on JA. I'm sorry.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Richard, Attorney