Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

we have a contract to provide serevices for 2 months- all monies were to be paid to us up

Customer Question
front- we received about 40%-...
we have a contract to provide serevices for 2 months- all monies were to be paid to us up front- we received about 40%- we were told the rest would be forthcoming but there has been none- our services are being used much less than the hiring company originally anticipated- are we entitled to the balance? by the way, we are in florida, the company is in china, the contract states any issues to be resolve3d are to be resolved in florida
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
8/1/2011
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good evening. Yes, you are entitled to be paid in full and you can sue them in Florida based on your contract and you will be awarded a judgment in your favor. The only issue you really face here is collecting your judgment. Unless they have some assets in the U.S. you can seize, such as a bank account, it will be very difficult for you to collect a judgment if all their assets are in China.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Additional information needed. Facts: We were hired for a two month period and were to be paid in full up front. We were paid 40%. The hiring company chose to utilize us much less than they had expected when they entered into the contract. Contract term is up in 2 months. We are pressuring them for full payment. Now, they have asked us to specifically document the work we have done to get payment. Questions is: when parties enter into a contract but one party does not use the services of the other, are they still entitled to pay full amount? Do we need to prove what work we did or does the contract stand on its own?Thanks a bunch!
Here's the thing as to why you are entitled to the full amount....because you either staffed up or turned down other work so that you could do the work they contracted to give you. As a result, you are entitled to what they promised to deliver because you relied to your detriment on the contractual obligations.
Richard, Attorney
Richard, Attorney