How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend and myself are wanting to start an entertainment

This answer was rated:

My friend and myself are wanting to start an entertainment magazine. We have no education or training in what is required however and have a few questions.

The biggest thing is if we wanted to review a movie or television show, what is the copyright law for using a photograph of the cast? Do we have to contact the companies and purchase them or is crediting the source the only thing required? To be clear, we will not be using any paparazzi photographs. I'm referring to the promotional photos companies use.

Our magazine will cover not just movies or television but music and gaming as well. Do the same copyright laws apply for these as well? How about photographs of actors/actresses?

Thank you in advance! We're a bit lost when it comes to various laws.
You can use photographs if it is editorial comment on the photo, but if you are using it as a promotional photograph you need permission of the photographer. You can talk about the movie and mention the name under fair use, but the photographs require permission. Same with music, you can name the songs and can quote small portions under fair use, but not the entire song without permission.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do we contact different networks to obtain this permission? Like if ABC has done a Castle promotional shoot, would we contact them to find out if they would grant permission or to find out who to contact about getting permission?
Yes, you have to contact whoever is the copyright owner of the photos you are using for permission to use them. The first step is to contact the production company.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you very much for the help!
Thank you.