How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 33440
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Weve been leasing a restuarant space for 2 years. In our lease it states Taxes and

This answer was rated:

We've been leasing a restuarant space for 2 years. In our lease it states Taxes and Insurance will be made available by March-June for the current year and then we should pay for them by July. For the past two years the landlord forgot to give us these firgures and now is seeking payment. Are we obliged to pay these as they were not given to us by March-June? Granted these were from 2 year ago now.
If the lease agreement contains a limitation on how far back the landlord may bill for them the landlord is obligated to abide by those provisions. Additionally, most commercial leases also provide for the tenant to be able to audit the tenant charges. You will want to check those provisions, as well. If you are past the period for which you are allowed to audit the account you should not be held liable for those expenses. Otherwise, most leases provide that you can be liable for adjustments during the lease term. It all hinges on what is contained in your actual lease.
Loren and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is nothing regarding dates or audits and such. Is it worth seeking more legal help to not pay these or are we best of coming to some kind of payment terms.
Before agreeing to pay anything, it is not a bad idea to have the lease reviewed by local counsel. Especially, if the landlord keeps coming back for more money. An attorney may be able to get the landlord to stop.