How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55308
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We wish to terminate a Contract for Deed because of non-payment

This answer was rated:

We wish to terminate a Contract for Deed because of non-payment of monthly obligation by the buyer. Short of foreclosure with a friendly agreement, what form can I use and will it be effective under all circumstances

Good evening. Since this is a Contract for Deed, you need not foreclose because you still have the title. All you need to do is evict them. Since they are in default for nonpayment, you will simply need to give them a 5-Day Notice to Quit...meaning they must vacate within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if they still have not left, you must file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is can have the sheriff evict them. You may then file a claim against them for all unpaid amounts and damages.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From what you say, the Contract For Deed "remedies" are the same as a land-lord/tenant relationship with regard to non-payment? This is Oklahoma Law?
Yes, exactly, because once they have defaulted, that's all they are. Yes, this is applicable for Oklahoma.
Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions