Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I work for an organization for which people join (either via

I work for an organization for which people join (either via membership application or online). We provide networXXXXX, XXXXXeting & educational resources. No where (literally) on our website does it tell members how to cancel their membership (and automatic withdrawals). They have to submit the request in writing (say via email) but don't know that unless they call. I feel this MUST be illegal.... at the very least I find it to be poor business practice. I have tried to research or to find some sort of law that says "if you are a membership organization, you must provide written notification of how to cancel the membership" but haven't had luck. In fairness they DO say in the "welcome email" which is 5 pages long that you cancel in writing but I seems like it should be required to also be on the website since we are an internet based organization. Am I totally off base?
Actually, there is no law mandating cancellation provisions be provided in the Texas Code for this type of organization. Cancellation is a matter of contract between the parties and if no cancellation provision is mentioned in the contract, then the contract remains binding and cannot be cancelled. If they do provide notice in the email this is an acceptable notice.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”