How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I had a business. We were incorporated, sub

This answer was rated:

My husband and I had a business. We were incorporated, sub chapter S. We closed the business and the corporation in 2003. We are now in a receipt of a bill for services rendered in 2001, 2002 and 2003. We did not get a bill from this accountant until now and she has added a $25.00 a month service charge for every month since 2003, which makes the bill well over $1100.00. Note: she shows the original amount at $460. She states that we never paid her for those years returns and she needs to money. I know we paid her, but we never got a bill from her until now. Is there not a statue of limitation on bills? I do not have any of the corporate backup or check registers as it is past seven years and we moved, so god only knows where the back up is. Need advice.
There is a 6 year statute of limitations in WA and this debt is considered "time barred," and you need to send them a letter informing them that the company was properly wound up and dissolved and that their claims are beyond the 6 year statute of limitations in WA and as such their continuing to contact you or pursue you over this time barred debt which you do not owe and it will be harassment under the Fair Debt Collection Practices and you will sue them for violations of that Act for up to $1000 per violation plus attorney's fees as provided by the Act.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions