Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

We are a motorcycle social network like a facebook just for

Customer Question

We are a motorcycle social network like a facebook just for bikers.

Can we copy a snippet (generally less than 100 words) of motorcycle news articles from a commercial news web site and post the article into our forum for comments from our members?

Here is an example: http://www.bikerspost.com/forum/topics/some-gave-all-ride-draws-deep
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, as long as you are using the document and link to the article for the purpose of reporting news (which is what this is) then it would come under the fair use doctrine which allows you to copy this information as news or information for your members as long as you do post the link to the article where they can view the entire article.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it ok to use to also use the photo from that news story? The photo has not been copied and is only embed on our site (Inline linking)

Am a correct to assume we can not use the entire articles?

Do we need to give any more credit or just the link suficicnet?
example:
By: Cathy Dyson
Source: Fredericksburg.com

No, the photo would be copyrighted and would lead to a copyright violation, but if you use a short portion of the article and a link to the entire article where the picture would be displayed then you would not be violating any copyrights. If not, you can contact the publisher and seek permission in writing to reprint as a social club and inform them it is not for any financial gain to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what if we used a thumbnail of the photo?
If you use the thumbnail, you are still violating the copyright law in displaying the image.