How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 33911
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am appearing pro se in a USDC lawsuit. An insurance carrier

This answer was rated:

I am appearing pro se in a USDC lawsuit. An insurance carrier filed a federal interpleader action against its insured ("Z") and several defendants having claims against the insured.

The carrier seeks to void its policy with the insured under the "known loss" doctrine. They also refute the stipulated judgment I received as the result of federally mandated arbitration and mediation.

I believe it can be proven the "known loss" doctrine does not apply to my claim. However, that's not relevant to this question.

My stipulated judgment was signed by an attorney (not present at the mediation) whose role I am uncertain of (Let's identify this person as "X"). Was X representing the carrier or was X representing the insured?

It's important to note the insured already had a firm that had represented it throughout the arbitration process (Let's call this attorney "Y"). I have also come to find out that this attorney, Y, has represented the carrier in other matters associated with this insured. So Y seems to play both offense and defense for this carrier.

The stipulated judgment I received indemnified the carrier was signed by "X". During the mediation, it was indicated that "Y" could not sign because the firm represented the carrier in other matters. So "X" had to sign my stipulated judgment to avoid a conflict of interest.

The mediation was overseen by a licensed, professional mediator. However, the mediator has done a lot of work for "Y's" firm. Even so, if the mediator is called to testify he'll have to come clean, no?

I now need the testimony of the attorney who signed my stipulated judgment. I need to establish who he was representing in the mediation. However, he is representing the insured. How do I go about disqualifying him as counsel so that he can be called to testify of his role in my mediation?

Why would he have signed a stipulated judgment indemnifying a party who he was not capable of binding? Sounds like a shell game, huh?
You would file a Motion to Disqualify/Recuse Counsel. In it cite the California Rules of Professional Conduct, which you can find at, and specifically Rule 5-210.

However, before you file this you may want to sent him a Notice of Deposition and if he objects, then you file the Motion.

You are going to have to be very, very careful what you ask him and how you ask him because he has an absolute right to assert attorney client privilege on certain matters. You may want to consider hiring a lawyer just to conduct the deposition for you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you