Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

How to fill out a "Stock Transfer Ledger" for a C Corporation

Customer Question
How do you fill out...
How do you fill out a "Stock Transfer Ledger" for a C Corporation? I have the "Original Issue" filled in but not sure how to record transfers. The original issue was 100 shares to one person. The 1st transfer was 75 shares to another person and 25 retained by the 1st "original issue" person.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/9/2011
Business Lawyer: Thomas McJD, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney

There's no way I can tell you how to fill out your ledger because all the ledgers, although quite similar, are different.

It doesn't make much difference how you fill it out as long as it's clear at the end of the process that the original owner now owns 75 shares and the new owner owns 25 shares.

Usually with a ledger, it shows the original issue. Other columns include designations like "shares transferred". That is where you would put 25 shares.

Then you would list the new owner somewhere else on the ledger and show that 25 shares are owned.

You could also make a corporate minute recognizing and approving the transfer of 25 shares from person A to person B, with person A now owning 75 shares and person B owning 25 shares. you could also reference ownership of other shares held by other individuals.

When I record the certificates surrendered, I guess I don't need to fill in the column

"From Whom Shares were Transferred?" I'm having a real hard time making it clear. I'm not clear on what they mean by "Date became owner?" Is that 'owner' of the shares? They also have a column "Date of transfer" Is that just the same date? Thanks again for any more help you can give me. (=

From Whom Shares were Transferred?"

This is filled in for the new owner. The original owner's name, who transferred the shares, goes there.

"Date became owner?"

This is the date the shares were transferred (for the new owner). This is the date of the original issue of stock (for the original owner).

"Date of transfer"

This is the date the original owner transferred 25 shares to the new owner.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney

The 1st column is "Name of Stockholder." Is that the person "From" whom shares were transferred or "To" whom transferred?

When I record "Certificates Surrendered" there are two columns under that........

"Nos." Is that just the number of the certificate? Why do they have the 's'?

and "No. of shares" Is that just the number of shares on that particular certificate or the number of shares being transferred?

The 1st column is "Name of Stockholder." Is that the person "From" whom shares were transfered or "To" whom transfered?

That is the owner. In the row that sets forth the original issue and then transfer of 25 shares, this is where the original owner's name goes.

In the row where you set forth the transferred shares to the new owner, the new owner's name goes here.

Yes that is the certificate number. they have numbers for tracking purposes.

and "No. of shares" Is that just the number of shares on that particular certificate or the number of shares being transfered?

It's the number of shares for that certificate.