How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55456
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 16 years old and was hired for a job with Sears.

This answer was rated:

My son is 16 years old and was hired for a job with Sears. He says he signed legal documents with them when he was hired. He worked for them for 3 weeks and was fired, apparently because of a breach of an NDA that he signed. He had previous troubles with an individual who came into the store and created a scene with my son. When my son told me about it, I contacted the Sheriffs Dept., who then contacted Sears about the incident. According to my son, Sears said when he told the Sheriff about the incident that happened in the store, (actually my son told me, and I told the Sheriff), that that violated his NDA.

My question is, does this constitute a violation of an NDA? Also he received a legal letter today from an attorney for Sears, citing a demand for $200.00 under Florida Statute #772.11 Is there a legal basis for them to collect this? My son is a minor, and he was telling me about an incident that was a personal matter to our family, that occured while he happened to be at work. Is this valid? Thanks for your help with this.

Good afternoon. The NDA is not legally binding against your son because your son, being a minor, cannot enter into a legally binding contract. Until you are an adult, you are not deemed to have the capacity to enter into a legally binding whether or not he signed it, it is not binding on him.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Under Florida Statute #772.11 (1)

Any person who has a cause of action under this section may recover the damages allowed under this section from the parents or legal guardian of any unemancipated minor who lives with his or her parents or legal guardian and who is liable for damages under this section.

This sentence in the middle of it had me concerned and prompted me to ask my previous question. Does this mean if my son is not liable for damages, that I, his mother, am?
No...because they cannot enforce any provision of a contract that is not legally enforceable to start with.
Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions