How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian Citizen and will be buying investment real

Customer Question

I am a Canadian Citizen and will be buying investment real estate in the U.S. Is a LLP the best way to structure my company?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After receiving your answer, and unless you have need for clarification, your accept (by clicking the green "accept" button) would be appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.


Actually, LLCs are probably the most preferred method of doing business in the US, especially for investment real estate.


The formalities are not as stringent as a corporation (you don't have to have annual meetings of shareholders and directors, etc.).


An LLC can also be taxed like a partnership (if there is more than one owner -- called a member in LLC speak), a sole proprietorship (if there is only a single member), and a corporation (either a C corporation or S corporation ("C" and "S" refer to specific subchanpters of the US Internal Revenue Code -- each has a different method of tax, but the main difference is that S corps have a flow through tax and C corps are taxed at the corporate level and at the individual owner level -- generally not a good thing)).


You would simply create your LLC by registering with the Florida Secretary of State. After that it's pretty straightforward and painless.


Most real estate investment companies with more than one member choose to be taxed as a partnership or S corporation -- which is best for you should be left up to a US certified public accountant "CPA".



I believe I have answered your question. As noted above, please let me know if you need clarification, and if not your accept would be appreciated. If you are a monthly subscriber, you must still click the "accept" button for me to receive credit for my work, but you will not be charged an additional fee.


If you later open a new question and would like my assistance, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.




Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.


You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say as legal authority and where appropriate for your own protection will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.

Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 6 years ago.

Just in case you don't know (and I didn't make this clear), an LLC is a limited liability company.


The members of an LLC are protected from liability incurred by the business the same way that limited partners in a limited partnership are protected. Plus you don't have to have a general partner. And the limited liability protection is a bit better because the only real recourse from a creditor is the "charging order".


Your accept would be appreciated. Thanks.

Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 6 years ago.

Either way, you'll pay taxes in both locations. The investment property will be here, in the US, and any income/return on investment will be taxed in the US. Then, I assume Canada will also tax you.


This is true (tax in the US) whether your entity choice is a limited liability partnership or LLC. Both types of taxation are flow-through to you -- so only the individuals pay tax, but that doesn't mean you get to skip taxes in one or the other jurisdiction unless there is an available credit for taxes already paid in the other jurisdiction.


Even if I'm mistaken and a partnership provides beneficial tax treatment, your LLC can be taxed as a partnership under the revenue code "check the box" regulations by filing a form 8832 with the IRS. Thus, there would be no difference in tax treatment, and you get superior protection with the LLC.


Your accept of the answer in this post would be appreciated. If you have additional follow up questions before you accept, please make them in this post, not a new post (unless it's a new question).