Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

This question has to do with discounts given on financed purchases.

Customer Question
It is my memory that...
This question has to do with discounts given on financed purchases. It is my memory that years ago a company could not discount an item less than 10% in exchange for cash
Is that still the law (federal law regulation Z or whatever)

And after a financed sales is on the books how much of a discount can be given in say 90 days for the customer to pay in full?
is it limited/
would 25% be a violation
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/1/2011
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Regulation Z (truth in lending) does not specify how much a company can discount a financed purchase for payment in full or early payment (Some companies charge a penalty for early payment as well). This is a matter of contract and if you read Regulation Z you will see that prepayment discounts are not mentioned.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney