Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have been a franchisee in Washington State with a peer board/business

coaching franchise for over three...
I have been a franchisee in Washington State with a peer board/business coaching franchise for over three years. The agreement that governs our relationship is very restrictive in terms of my ability to either coach or facilitate peer boards for two years after I terminate my franchise with them.
I have recently signed a revised agreement that changes the revenue split between me and the franchisor and gets me out of the seven years remaining on my the original contract. This will help my cash flow; however, I no longer have a protected territory, and I have given up my right to market.
I do not want to use their materials, trademarks, methods, secrets, etc. In fact the reason that I want to end my relationship with them is that I see no value in being associated with them. Nothing that they have is of any value to me.
What I do want to do is to build a peer board coaching business using my own name. I also want the members that I have now to be able to join one of my new boards.
Neither peer boards nor business coaching are unique to this franchisor. In fact I was a member of a peer board in 1990, back before this franchise even started.
I am 67 years old and I cannot survive economically going forward if I can't coach and facilitate boards. I couldn’t survive under the financial arrangement that I was originally under, my new arrangement is good only in that it stops the hemorrhaging, but there is no possibility of growth.
Is there a way that I can I start my own business in this profession without fear of what they will be able to do to me?
2/6/2011
Unfortunately, if you signed a non-compete/non-solicitation agreement, if you go off and open your own board, they will sue you for damages and also an injunction to stop you from operating. These non-compete violation cases can get very expensive and I have had minor violations cost the violator $5000 plus attorney's fees. You need to negotiate a release from the non-compete/non-solicitation agreement with the company and if you do not and they find you have started up a new board it will be a costly legal battle for you and one you likely will not win because these agreements are enforceable in WA and if you are in the same business (even if you are not using their materials or marks) and taking their customers.

You may be able to negotiate a buy out of the agreement or some other deal with them to even reduce the length of the non-compete, but unless you do, I am afraid you are stuck.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney