How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55723
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I and another person both own 50% of a California S corp. I

This answer was rated:

I and another person both own 50% of a California S corp. I learned he was spending excessive company money on personal items and working deals with clients to embezzle money on the side. When I found out I confronted him and made him an offer to buy him out. He sent me an email agreeing to take the offer two months ago. The offer included a non solicit clause. Now as we get to closing he is unwilling to cooperate or take the deal. We are a small company. We have about 20K in credit card debit that I am the only personal guarantor on, we also owe approximately 100K to various vendors and are in a 2 year lease at 8K a month. The lease is also personally guaranteed

I have been operating the business with no involvement or communication from him fro the past two months.

We have no bylaws in place. I am CEO and treasurer, he is secretary.

I want out. My partner is in no position to buy me out nor can he be trusted to handle the company on his own. I need to clear all of the debit and close the doors. How can I do this with a non cooperative and untrustworthy 50% partner.

Good morning. You have all the leverage here. He violated his fiduciary duty by usurping corporate opportunity, by using corporate funds for his own personal uses, and by otherwise embezzling money. You have both criminal and civil recourse. You shoudl tell him that he can either agree to the surrender his ownership to you on such terms as you request or you will: i) file a civil suit against him to recoup all the damages his actions have caused, including punitive damages for fraud; and ii) contact the district attorney's office to pursue criminal charges for fraud, embezzlement, and theft. Your civil suit will result in a judgment award that if he cannot pay, you can then lien his stock in the company and take in partial satisfaction of the judgment. Given his downside certainty, I feel certain he will agree with your terms without you having to follow through, but if not, pursue your actions against him.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you