Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I want to start computer recycling company. i want to know

Customer Question

I want to start computer recycling company. i want to know what i need inorder to start the recycling business like permits, how i can get business plan, if i need machinery, what zoning do i have to be in, insurance, how i get contracts to get the equipment coming in and so on.<br />Basically I would like to know in DETAIL everythingg to start computer recycling business>
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.
What state would you be doing in recycling in? Are you going to handle reclamation of salvageable parts and properly dispose of the rest or are you going to take to a recycling center for a fee?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello I am going to do it in Md. I am planning to resell the usable parts and the rest maybe shredd sell it as commodity if not I can take it to a recycling center. But I don't know which way to go

In Maryland you have to be aware of both state and c county regulation. Here is a site that you may find helpful.

http://www.marylandrecyclingnetwork.org/legislative-regulatory

I suggest you start by salvaging those materials that can be resold on a viable basis, with those materials that do not require special disposal requirements such as paper, you can shred and discard. Other materials you need to take to either a recycling center or dispose of the materials that require special handling in accordance with federal and state environmental regulations. The best approach is to identify those items and dispose of them through companies that are already set up to handle them. Here is a site that discusses the issue in MD.

http://computer-disposal.twowik.com/computer-disposal-in-maryland/

To start your business I recommend incorporating as either an S corp or LLC. That will provide you with limited liability. You will also have to get a business license for handle wages, any sales tax or resale exemption certificate you need.

Once you get a consistent revenue stream you can then investigate whether you want to make the investment and financial responsibility of actually disposing of hazardous waste. This can be a costly process with significant potential liability.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.
This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.
This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

I am not familiar with the components that go into a computer but you need to be so familiar because there may be some parts that cannot be recycled and have to be handled in an appropriate manner. Here is an article that discusses what some of the components are that are presenting special problems.

http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-computing/articles/11733.aspx

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My question is not fully answered, Insurance? machinery? how to get contracts? please read my original question. thank you.
I am going to opt out as I am not prepared to write a business plan for you. Perhaps some other expert can help you . Please do not respond to this post.

Edited by bizlaw on 2/9/2011 at 2:24 PM EST