Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

What kind of licensing or legal documents do i need to sell a new line of ties for me

What kind of licensing or legal documents do i need to sell a new line of ties for men?
Do you own the patent/copyright/trademark on the designs? Are they your original designs?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well none of that has been done yet (patent/copyright/trademark) and i wanted to see what steps to take at first to make it legal. It is at a very beginning stage and thought i'd look into it first to see what i am getting myslef involved with.

But yes, they will all be original works.
Generally, the designs of the ties would be copyrighted and possibly trademarked if the design is something that has a secondary meaning associated with your company.

The first thing you need to do is form some type of corporate entity and usually a Limited Liability Company works best for this small type enterprise. A LLC is one where there are members (one or multiple) and it is a flow through entity for taxes. What that means is the LLC files a tax return but pays no taxes (other than sales tax as required) and issues a K-1 form to the members for their share of profits/losses (similar to a 1099) and the member claims it on their personal income taxes. The LLC can be formed cheaply by going to the secretary of state's website and filing online. Once you form the LLC you go to the IRS website and obtain an Employer Identification Number which you would then use for sales taxes with the state and to open a bank account for the LLC.

Aside from forming the LLC, the only other thing you have to determine is whether to copyright your designs or trademark them (or both) which you can also do online. Copyright or trademark is not mandatory and it is just used if you want to get the most protection of your designs from others using them. You still have a common law copyright on any original work, the difference is that for a violation you can seek more damages if you have a registered mark.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great! everything is understandable but what you mean exactly by "corporate entity"? Is that where LLC comes directly into play?

And lastly, what do yu mean "secondary meaning associated with your company" if trademarking is what has to happen?
Yes, an LLC is a corporate entity, just like an S-corp or a C-corp or a partnership. That is where the LLC comes into play, it is generally the best type of corporate entity for this type of venture.

Secondary meaning associated with your company means if your design is more than just an original work capable of copyright, like the Nike swoosh or the Hilfiger mark, where someone just looks at the swoosh and associates it immediately with Nike. If someone looks at your design and immediately associates it with your company then you could trademark it, but until it gets to that point you can only get a copyright on any original designs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well thank you for your time...i will keeo your links in my contacts for any further questions after i "accept answer".

If you have the best way to copyright or trademark my brand/products let me know what that is, whether a link or website to research.

...thanks again
The copyright can be obtained online at http://www.copyright.gov

Trademarks can be obtained at http://www.uspto.gov

Thank you.