Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I want to open a company in Februrary. The company will be

I want to open a company in Februrary. The company will be doing software development and software consulting. There are two of us who want together open a company. It must be in the form of "Limited Liability". We do not have much to invest right now, may be about 500-800$.
Questions:
1. Can you advise us as to what we should do now
2. what kind of company it might be according to US Laws.
3. How do we open (or register) a company the easiest way?
4. Is there any websites who would do that for us for a payment?
5. And what websites if you know are not scum, we want to do it once and without any hassle.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The Limited Liability Company would be the likely best entity to pick for this. It protects members from personal liability for company debt (except for debts where members sign personal guarantees). It also allows the members to claim the profits/losses on their personal taxes. The LLC does not pay income taxes (only sales taxes, unemployment and workers compensation as required), but issues K-1 forms to each member for their share of the profits/losses (like a 1099). You can file to open the LLC on the MD secretary of state's website and once you do then you go to the IRS website and apply for an Employee Identification Number for the LLC so you can open bank accounts. Legal sites such as legalzoom can draft your membership agreement for you which you need to describe your roles and interests in the LLC and what happens if you decide to split up (who gets what) and how each member can buy out the other in case of disagreements etc. But you can file the Articles of Organization and LLC on your own without any assistance and the only thing you need is a detailed membership agreement to cover how you want things run.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.