Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

We made a bad investment through our financial advisor. We

Customer Question
gave him money to invest...
We made a bad investment through our financial advisor. We gave him money to invest in Mexico property. We have no equity stake in it. We were promised a return of 10%. I believe it was just a promissory note. He will probably going bankrupt and is being investigated if not already charged with some sort of securities fraud. There were many of us that have invested in this, amounting to millions of dollars. We have received letter from the company stating that he has found someone to take over the project and asking us to sign a new promissory note with them, claiming that the "new" property is twice as valuable as the old property. He claims that the other investors have already signed over 16 million dollars to this new company. We figure we have no hope of recovering our money where it is now (about 90k). We also are wondering whether this would relieve him of liability and keep him out of jail. We also figure there is little hope of recovering anything even with the new agreement... We made a bad investment through our financial advisor. We gave him money to invest in Mexico property. We have no equity stake in it. We were promised a return of 10%. I believe it was just a promissory note. He will probably going bankrupt and is being investigated if not already charged with some sort of securities fraud. There were many of us that have invested in this, amounting to millions of dollars.
We have received letter from the company stating that he has found someone to take over the project and asking us to sign a new promissory note with them, claiming that the "new" property is twice as valuable as the old property. He claims that the other investors have already signed over 16 million dollars to this new company.

We figure we have no hope of recovering our money where it is now (about 90k). We also are wondering whether this would relieve him of liability and keep him out of jail. We also figure there is little hope of recovering anything even with the new agreement but if there is 16 million being moved to the new venture....maybe?

Looking for any advice.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/1/2011
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Signing a new agreement on top of a bad one is not going to be the prudent thing to do here. Signing the new agreement is not going to keep him out of jail of prevent criminal charges. As far as the new venture, you need to get an actual investigator in Mexico to go review the property and also you need to inspect the financial prospectus because it is likely another scam involved from what you describe. You are also correct that you may not ever see the money, but the good thing is that because it is fraud involved the bankruptcy court would not likely discharge the debt.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney