Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

What is the best way to get a DBA (Doing Business As) in Houston,

What is the best way to get a DBA (Doing Business As) in Houston, TX (as much detail is appreciated)? What are the pros and cons of getting a DBA? What are some tips or caveats (things to avoid). Also, does a DBA protect my personal property from liability and what are some things to consider when selecting a name for the business?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
In Texas you get a DBA by using it and registering it at the county clerk's office. It does nothing as far as protecting you, all it does is tell the public that you are using another name to do business. There are really no tips, other than choose one that is not in use or trademarked, and then trademark yours. If you want protection from liability you need to form a corporation.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I ensure that the name I select is not already in use? Also, what are the associated fees.

What type of corporation should I pursue if I want to limit my liability and protect personal assets?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
There is no really good way to check on availability other than to look online (run a google search) and search at the trademark office online. You can find it a www.uspto.gov . To determine the type of corporation you need to sit down with the attorney who will ultimately draw the papers up. There are a lot of different things to consider, way too many to go over and consider in this forum. LLCs are popular now but there are pros and cos to each kind.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What are the pros and cons of LLCs?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
The cons are primarily to do with the way profits are distributed and the fact that you can't pay yourself a salary out of an LLC. There is an excellent article at http://www.entrepreneur.com/money/taxcenter/taxstrategiescolumnistdavidmeier/article63388.html that discusses the pros and cons in detail and is an excellent overview. I used to have an answer already written to use, but this article is as good and easier to understand than my answer so I just link to it now.