Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I was in process of establishing a new business. I went to

I was in process of...
I was in process of establishing a new business. I went to a company to provide an insurance quote. The insurance company called my would be competitors and told them my intentions, in as much as telling what equipment I was buying to use in the business and how many pieces of equipment I was buying. I feel my confidentiality was breeched. This business information was supposed to be used for making an insurance quotation, only. The forms that I filed did ask if I wanted them to contact my past employers. They obviously found out. I almost lost my current job.
1/4/2011
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After you receive your answer, please let me know if you need clarification. If not, your accept would be appreciated (and is necessary to compensate me as an expert, even if you are a monthly subscriber - although monthly subscribers will not be charged an additional fee).

This does sound like a breach of confidentiality (assuming that you did not waive any right to keep the information confidential in regard to the insurance company giving you a quote -- which I doubt as you would have needed to be aware of any form that would do that).

However, even if you can prove a legal wrong, you have to prove damages in order to recover anything. Since you haven't necessarily lost anything, there really are not damages. And unfortunately, the stress you suffered and any distress you suffered are not compensable injuries when they're not associated with physical injury to your person. Thus, the company has wronged you but the law doesn't really provide a remedy in your situation.

The best you could do is report them to the better business bureau and maybe even the state attorney general.

I believe I have answered your question. As noted above, please let me know if you need clarification, and if not your accept would be appreciated. Additionally, if you post a new question for me in another thread, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say as legal authority and where appropriate for your own protection will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney