How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Starting a new company and want to file a dba under my existing

This answer was rated:

Starting a new company and want to file a dba under my existing corporation.....can I do this? The new company will be a sole proprietorship.
I need to know if a filed dba (as in filed with the county clerk, as required in Orange County, California) will suffice for banking.....already made a sale with the new company and have a check I need to deposit hopefully by merely adding the new company to the established corporation's bank account.
Or do I have to wait for the dba to publish before bringing to the bank??

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After you receive your answer, please let me know if you need clarification. If not, your accept would be appreciated (and is necessary to compensate me as an expert, even if you are a monthly subscriber - although monthly subscribers will not be charged an additional fee).


A corporation can operate a d/b/a under its umbrella as long as it's not prohibited by the articles of incorporation or the bylaws of the corporation. The corporation, not you, would register the d/b/a, and the d/b/a would not be a sole proprietorship, it would simply be taxed as part of the corporation, since it is the corporation for all legal purposes. Thus, it will be taxed as a c-corporation or an s-corporation depending on how the corporation is taxed.


If you want to operate the d/b/a as a sole proprietorship, you would have to register the d/b/a in your name, individually and it would not be part of the corporation. In that case, you would not have the limited liability features of the corporation.


Since d/b/a must be registered in your state, I doubt the bank will allow you to make a deposit into the corporate account until you can show that the d/b/a is registered to the corporation.


I believe I have answered your question. As noted above, please let me know if you need clarification, and if not your accept would be appreciated. Additionally, if you post a new question for me in another thread, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.




Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.


You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say as legal authority and where appropriate for your own protection will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.


Thomas McJD and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions