Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a small business and want to change from a NJ Corporation

to a LLC. No...
I have a small business and want to change from a NJ Corporation to a LLC. No debts or problems, just need to scale down. I live in Florida, but most of my work is in NJ (90 percent).(Audio Engineer) Should I form the LLC in NJ or Florida. Thank you, Mike
1/2/2011
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: I have a small business and want to change from a NJ Corporation to a LLC. No debts or problems, just need to scale down. I live in Florida, but most of my work is in NJ (90 percent).(Audio Engineer) Should I form the LLC in NJ or Florida. Thank you, Mike

Response: You should form the LLC in New Jersey. Here is a link to New Jersey Secretary of State's website:

http://www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/starting/

Why not Florida?
Because you are doing most of the your business in New Jersey, you said. However, there is no reason why you could not establish the LLC in Florida if you prefer.
Last question, if I get a LLC in NJ, can I still work shows in Florida? Thanks

Response: Yes. However, you must first register the New Jersey LLC in Florida. Same thing if you create the LLC in Florida. You must register the Florida LLC in New Jersey in order to do business in New Jersey.

Here are links to both websites:

http://sunbiz.org/register.html

http://www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/registration/

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law