Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am trying to start a Adult film company in Virginia. I understand

I am trying to start...
I am trying to start a Adult film company in San Fernando CA (because it is easier legally). I understand that I will need a lawyer to set up a legal intity to protect my assets while helping to also contract for talent and labor. While confirming that all performers have been tested and are ready, willing and legally able to be filmed. I also know I will need permits for location shots and a license to distribute either online or US post.
What I would like to know is which government organizations(preferably specifically which forms do I fill out for CA) do I contact in order to acquire the business license (both produce and cast for talent), film permits and license to distribute?
I have been given the run around when contacting government offices via e-mail.
12/8/2010
Other than forming your own production company which will generally be either a c-corp or an LLC, and this is done through the secretary of state's office and you obtain your IRS tax ID number. There are no other specific licenses required for distributing the films (most distribute through major distribution houses). As long as you keep all of your records on the film, such as the written proof all participants are of legal age and all of the consent forms and you print on your video where that information can be located (who is the keeper of those records) then that is all that is required. The US does not issue any special licenses for these productions.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

But I would prefer to distribute content myself either through online purchases or agreements with stores as opposed to going through someone else. Also I would like to act as an agency for talent in addition to having them/talent feature in the films.
You can do that as well. As long as you keep copies of all releases and proof that the participants are all of proper age (this means also keeping copies of 2 forms of government issues photo identification).
last follow-up. Do I have to established residency in the state(CA) in which I would wish to start this company?
No, you do not have to be a resident, but you will require a local business address in California when you form your LLC and you will require a CA registered agent for service of process.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney