Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Would like to know what constitutes a legally binding partnership/contract

Customer Question
between two non-profits involved in...
Would like to know what constitutes a legally binding partnership/contract between two non-profits involved in a long-term project? No contract was signed, but there is plenty of paperwork and emails showing that both organizations were working together toward a common goal.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
12/5/2010
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Under the statute of frauds such contacts must be in writing. To be legally binding the contract must have sufficient consideration and an agreement on the object of the contract. Oral contracts are not enforceable under the statute of frauds unless one party can prove they have performed their obligation under the contract and then the other party can be made to perform. Emails and letters are not contracts, they may be evidence of the consideration of forming a contract, but they are not enforceable contracts because of the lack of consideration and mutual agreement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney