Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

How can we change a C Corporation into an S Corporation And

How can we change a C Corporation into an S Corporation? And when we do that, will the assets and unused NOL be carried over?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.
Are their limited shareholders?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is only one shareholder - 100%.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.

You must use form 2553. I'm giving links along with the answer.

Form 2553 must be signed and dated by the president, vice president, treasurer, assistant treasurer, chief accounting officer, or any other corporate officer (such as tax officer) authorized to sign. If Form 2553 is not signed, it will not be considered timely filed.

Required form to be filed to change filing status:

Step 1. Timely file a paper copy of the Form 2553 with the appropriate Service Center as directed in the Form 2553 instructions. You may mail or fax this form.

Step 2. The corporation will receive an acknowledgement and approval of the S corporation election. If the notification of approval is not received, the corporation should follow-up with the Service Center where the Form 2553 was filed.

Step 3. File the last C Corporation return (Form 1120) by the due date or extended due date. Note: Some taxpayers are required to file electronically. For additional information on which Form 1120 filers are required to file electronically, please see T.D. 9363, I.R.B. 2007-49.

Step 4. File the S Corporation return (Form 1120S) by the due or extended due date. Note: Some taxpayers are required to file electronically. For additional information on which Form 1120S filers are required to file electronically, please see T.D. 9363, I.R.B. 2007-49.

The filing of the initial Form 1120S return will finalize the change of the entity’s filing requirement on the Internal Revenue Service’s records.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.