How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10645
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to start a home based bath salt business. In Granite

Customer Question

I want to start a home based bath salt business. In Granite City, IL- Madison Co . I will just be making the product at home, then delivering it myself. There will be no store at the home. What licenses/permits will I need
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.

You will need to register with the Illinois Dept. of Revenue. Here is the way to contact them.


  • Illinois Department of Revenue
    Central Registration Division
    PO Box 19030
    Springfield, IllinoisNNN-NN-NNNNbr />1-800-732-8866 (in-state calls only)
    TDD: 1-800-544-5304


    Since you will be selling retail you will need to collect sales tax and file sales tax returns.


    You did not say how you were going to structure your business. You could be a sole proprietorship. The advantage is simplicity. The disadvantage is that all your personal assets are at risk if the business fails. I recommend that you either incorporate and operate as a Sub Chapter S corp. or form a limited liability company. Both of those entities provide you the benefit of limited liability so your personal assets are not at risk unless you decide to personally guarantee a company debt.


    If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

    This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.