Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

CAN I SUE A APARTMENT OWNER FOR ALLOWING SOMEBODY ELSE SIGN

CAN I SUE A APARTMENT OWNER FOR ALLOWING SOMEBODY ELSE SIGN MY NAME ON A APP/ LEASE AGREEMENT?
You can only sue if they did not have your consent to sign nor did you subsequently move in and act as though they had consent to sign for you. In other words, if this person went off an applied for an apartment and put your name down and got the apartment and you never lived with them at the apartment and had nothing to do with the apartment, then you could sue the apartment owner for negligence in failure to verify identity and the person who signed your name for forgery and fraud. However, if you moved into an apartment with a person and that person signed your name to the lease, but you somehow received some benefit from that and never complained in the very beginning that they signed your name then the courts would consider that as though you gave your tacit consent for them to sign for you and you could not pursue anyone in the case.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.