Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

We are a commercial mortgage broker with a signed contract

Customer Question
by our clients, a husband...
We are a commercial mortgage broker with a signed contract by our clients, a husband and wife who were purchasing a commercial building. They have been baulking on payment of the contract because the deal fell through. On that issue our contract is clear.

Our issue is the husband said he had never seen the contract, yet we had one signed by he and his wife. He advised us today that he was unaware that his wife had signed the contract in his behalf. He has not said whether the wife had a POA to sign or not. Is this an issue for him since the contract was entered into in good faith with bothe of their signatures? Does this give us any legal advantage since the terms we delivered upon were satisfied in the cotract?
Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
11/3/2010
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good evening. The signature actually helps you because it gives you a huge amount of leverage because in order to declare the contract invalid, the husband is going to have to throw the wife under the bus. In other words, if you sue to enforce the contract, the husband is either going to have to acknowledge that he signed it or his wife had his POA....otherwise, she is going to subject to criminal prosecution.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Richard, Attorney