How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Law Your Own Question
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
MShore Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a web developer who recently subcontracted a site to another

This answer was rated:

I'm a web developer who recently subcontracted a site to another developer. The work was not completed to my satisfaction nor my client's yet the subcontractor wants to be paid for any time that he claims to have spent working on this project.

If we can't come to an agreement about what he should be paid, legally what is my alternative here?
Thank you for the post, did your contract with the subcontractor call for disputes regarding payment to be submitted to binding arbitration?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, this was a rush job that I negotiated with the sub over the phone. Nothing was ever signed as to a scope of work, etc. Not my usual method of business but is the situation.

Basically I called this guy I had worked with in the past, asked him if he had time to do a job, he said yes, and I sent him a task list. We proceeded to talk on the phone and setup a website to work on over the past 2 weeks. He never sent me back the to-do list and I did n't see a lot of things done that I was expecting. I fired him and then he sent my an invoice stating he spent a lot of time on vague items.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX here is likely to be binding arbitration. If you cannot reach a settlement and he decides to sue you, the court would likely order arbitration and a sum to compensate the subcontractor for the work performed would be ordered.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Interesting, but say he sues in small claims court (or vice versa); I'm in CA and he's in MT. How does that work? Would I have to travel to MT?
Hello, he would have to sue you in CA.
MShore Law and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you