Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am a certified bookkeeper/tax preparer and have recently

Customer Question
formed an LLC for a...
I am a certified bookkeeper/tax preparer and have recently formed an LLC for a client who had worked as a sole proprietor up until April 13, 2010; The major owner and his wife owe a large medical bill at a local hospital. They received a Garnishee notice in the regular mail, not sent certified etc; showing the hospital vs. my client vs. my clients bank where my clients LLC bank account is held. Can this garnishment take monies from the LLC's bank account?
Please advise ASAP; I need to respond to the court for a hearing if I feel that the LLC's bank account should be exempt from garnishment.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/4/2010
Business Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
If it is a proper corporation then the bank shouldn't garnish the corporate account since it is a separate legal entity. HOWEVER a lot of banks garnish any account that a person is a signator on, so it is not out of the realm of possibility. If they do garnish it the judge should release it at the hearing since it is improper.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney