Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

If a contract for sale of business is drawn up I need to confirm

Customer Question
if this would be an...
If a contract for sale of business is drawn up I need to confirm if this would be an acceptable situation.
If selling price is say, $750,000 and most of the business is good will, there will also be a non-compete. It will only be for 2 years and a for a 2 mile radius of the current business.
Understanding that the non-compete portion is considered as ordinary income, my accountant feels that we should take $75,000 towards it. I believe this is considerable.
After speaking with 2 CPA's, they both have suggested that if the buyer will agree, to make the non-compete as small as possible, say $5,000 or $10,000. Their theory is that as long as it is acceptable to the buyer, than IRS would not have an interest in investigating or auditing this monetary amount.
Please let me know, as an attorney, if, when you draw up the covenant, if it is possible?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/1/2010
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Yes, as it is not illegal, the attorney can draft a contract with any clauses the parties agree upon as long as they are not immoral or illegal. Here the value of a non-compete is really subjective and open to interpretation and the value is based on what the parties believe it to be worth and agree that it is worth.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney