J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
15393114

I am going to buy a truck in Orlando Florida . the truck is

I am going to buy a truck in Orlando Florida . the truck is in a business name. the business has or is going to go out of business They wanted me to give them the money and they would sign the title over to me .and I would take the truck home with the title in hope of transferring it on tuesday whem the tag office opens . I said that I would do the deal on tuesday moring at the tag office . what information does he need to bring to prove he owns the truck . What do I need to watch out for.? john
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

The main thing you need to verify is that he is authorized to sign on behalf of the company.

J.Hazelbaker :

This is something you can check out before you even go to the tag office on Tuesday.

J.Hazelbaker :

If you go to the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations website:

J.Hazelbaker :

http://sunbiz.org/search.html?

J.Hazelbaker :

You can search the ownership records of the business. If his name appears in the documents, then he has the authority to sign.

J.Hazelbaker :

When you go to the website, you need to search under either corporation or limited liability company, depending on what type of business form the business is.

J.Hazelbaker :

Finally, you can verify if there are any liens on the title by looking at the title. The title office won't transfer it without a release from the lienholder, so this isn't likely to slip through the cracks.

J.Hazelbaker :

I see you are offline. Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I looked up this company on the subiz web site he has a limited liability comp which is active and 4 corporation which one is conversion and 3 are inactive from several years age .. If the tile is in one of the corporation accout what does this do to the title transferr statis. can the tile be transferred if the tile is under a corperation that has been inactive The name of the man is maddox , carrol jr John
Yes. He can still transfer the title if the corp. is listed as inactive, but not if it is a corp that is dissolved or one that converted to another entity (e.g. the LLC).

You can ask the registrar if he was the signing representative when the truck was first titled. If he was, I would be concerned.

If he wasn't, but the vehicle is in the name of the LLC which he is a member, I wouldn't be concerned.

If he wasn't the original signor and the vehicle is in the name of one of the corps., then I would ask him to transfer it from the corp to him for $1 and then from him to you just to be on the safe side.