Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

can a non physician own a clinic that provides medical care

can a non physician own a clinic that provides medical care in oregon. They hire an independent contractor physician to see patients and provide Rx. The patients pay the clinic. The charts remain in possession of the clinic. Is this okay? The doctor is either paid per person or hourly. and lastly, can that doctor be "medical director" if he/she not owner of clinic?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Oregon has a limited common law ban on the corporate practice of medicine.

See: Or. Rev. Stat. §677.080; State ex rel. Sisemore v. Standard Optical Co., 182 Or. 452, 188 P.2d 309 (1947) (corporate employment of optometrists is unlawful and contrary to public policy because only individuals, not corporations, can be licensed and therefore corporations employing optometrists violated the requirement that a person engaged in the practice of medicine be licensed); Neiss v. Ehlers, 135 Or. App. 218, 899 P.2d 700 (1995) (court limits scope of Sisemore to situations where corporation controls professional services). This means that a licensed physician needs to own and hire the physician employees.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so a specialty clinic - like a med spa or a weight loss clinic - must be owned in part or full by a licensed physician?
Anything that deals with practice of medicine must be owned by a licensed physician because only the physician can practice medicine in the state.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks. so even hospitals fall under this rule?
Hospitals are corporate ownership run by doctors who are licensed to practice medicine and must have doctors in place who are solely liable for all medical aspects of the practice (chief of staff, chief executive officer and etc) and hospitals fall under different guidelines than medical practices and clinics.