TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I built a business for another person and then ran it for a

I built a business for another person and then ran it for a commission off the total income. the business boomed and made as much as $100,000,000. Our agreement was that as long as I was successful I keep this position. Once I became extremely successful, he booted me so he could keep all proceeds for himself.

The agreement was not recorded in writing but it was STILL MADE. Let's forget about ability to prove it for a second, would such agreement be legally binding when viewed from the eyes of the law?
Now, suppose that there was a way to prove this agreement with an audio recording, would that provide an advantage that could earn me a financial victory?

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

How specific was the agreement? Was it truly as broad and general as you stated here, or was it more specific? For example, was the term "successful" defined? Generally speaking, the broader the language, the less likely it will be enforced in court because it will be too ambiguous. If you can prove specific terms, however, then the agreement may be enforced. So, if you take it to court be prepared to prove details such as length of time (if applicable), dollar figures, position, etc.

An audio recording can be used to prove the existence of a contract, so long as the audio itself can be authenticated. Authenticating a recording is as simple as somebody familiar with your employer’s voice stating “yes, that voice is the defendant’s voice.”

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for yoour answer. Yes, the agreement WAS specific enough in my opinion. Successful was EXCLUSIVELY defined as making the business grow and keep viable. which I delivered. Just weeks before I was booted the owner contacted me and made an agreement by which I was fully secure (those agreements were made a few times over the years).

Remember that this man BENEFITED from making these promises becuase they pumped me up to boom the company, so he used me, and unortunately we are not talking about an honest citizen but a very deceptive individual.

AS I mentioned, the business ended up making $100,000,000 gross income and keeps making $50,000,000 more every year.

Let's just assume that I WAS ABLE to prove it, would I in the eyes of the law be entitled to a significant monetary conpensation?
If you were able to successfully prove that you had an enforceable contract, and the contract was breached, then you'd be entitled to whatever you would have received had the contract not been breached. Therefore, it doesn't really matter how much the company makes ... what matters is how much you were supposed to be paid. The lack of a definite time period may be a problem, however.