Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can I file a defamation, libel, and slander case in federal

court?_Can an employer be guilty...
Can I file a defamation, libel, and slander case in federal court?_Can an employer be guilty of defamation, libel, and slander when testifing in a worker compensation case? The testimony is under oath and taped by the commission.
9/4/2010
Roger, Attorney

You cannot file in federal court unless you are a resident of a different state than where the business is located. This is known as diversity jurisdiction. Because there is no federal question/federal law (defamation is a state cause of action), the only way you could get in federal court is if you and the employer are from different states and your claim is for more than $75000.

Otherwise, you'd have to file in state court.

Roger, Attorney
Okay, the employer is in NH and I live in VA, but what about the second part of the question?
Yes, defamation occurs anytime a person knowingly makes a false statement about another person in an attempt to harm the person's reputation. If it was stated under oath, it could also be perjury.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
what about the second part of the question.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
What about the second part of the question. Please answer that?
I have answered all of the questions I see. Did something not post?
Roger, Attorney