Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Attorney
Experience:  Thirteen years of business law experience, from business formation to litigation
14609131

Is a special license required to provide dental and vision

Is a special license required to provide dental and vision benefits through a corporate entity specifically incorporated to package and provide benefits underwritten by insurance carrier(s)
Chat Conversation Started
Brent Blanchard :

Yes. That is considered to be selling insurance.

Brent Blanchard :

An affiliate of one of my clients fell into very hot water about 2005-06, in Nevada, for selling "group-negotiated" "discount" plans for medical and dental services. The idea was no more than just negotiating lower provider prices, just like the insurance companies do for their insureds. That was all, the "membership" fee was all the "members" of the "club" or whatever it was called paid, and there were not "benefits" from the LLC marketing the discount plans paid to the medical providers on behalf of the customers.

Brent Blanchard :

NV Department of Business and Industry, Nevada Division of Insurance, shut them down for selling "insurance" without a license to sell life and health insurance.

Brent Blanchard :

Thank you.

Brent Blanchard :

BAB.

JACUSTOMER-fvy6alct- :

I am licenssed in the state of Nevada for life, health, property, casualty and surety sales. Using my insurance license, can I form the corporation or LLC specifically to sell dental/vision plans or do I need to create some sort of "trust" plan to do it?

JACUSTOMER-fvy6alct- :

I am licensed in the state of Nevada for life, health property, casualty, surety sales. If I incorporate to sell dental/vision plans packaged together, do I need to create some sort of "trust" plan?

Brent Blanchard :

Nothing special is ordinarily needed. It is common for more careful agents to run all of their business through either a corporation or an LLC. For either, it is necessary to file a Sub-S election timely with the IRS to avoid double taxation. Besides that, there is the usual NV Secretary of State filing fees to create the LLC, THEN NV State business license and initial list of Managers or Members. Most of the high-advertising not really a lawyer services, and even those theoretically supervised by a licensed attorney, do not include that follow-up in their "beat this price" advertising.

Brent Blanchard :

If you are not already familiar with it, this web page is a gateway to a lot of useful information on the topic: http://www.doi.state.nv.us/producers.aspx. I just happened to be elsewhere on the Div of Insurance website (for another matter) this morning.