Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

This is a legal question regarding a business transaction.

This is a legal question regarding a business commercial transaction. In case it makes a difference, I live in Los Angeles. My massage chair stopped working so I sought advice from a specialist who said I was in need of replacing the engine (the technical name is block). I purchased the part from the manufacturer, and at that point I needed to get in a technician to do the work and replace the part. # I called 4 authorized service companies to ask for quotes on replacing the block/engine. The quotes extended over a certain range and I chose the lowest one ($180). All quotes were done over the phone and not available in writing. I booked the company with the lowest quote. # The technician showed up the next day and said he was not going to honor the $180 and insisted the price was now $600 (for about 1.5 hours of work). Of course I refused to accept this type of manipulation technique and sent him home. The manipulation, however, has not stopped. Now the company is harassing me with letters to pay for the visit despite the fact that the technician REFUSED the deliver the service at the quoted price (the ONLY reason I called them in in the first place was for being the lowest). They will not listen or accept any other viewpoint. The question is what are my rights? How do I get them off my back. I truly refuse to give in to this type of manipulation by a company who is obviously criminally inclined. I need EFFECTIVE advice that would empower me. Thanks
You need to send them a letter telling them this "bait and switch" of quoting you one price on the phone and charging you another is considered an unfair and deceptive business practice and if they do not cease and desist you will be filing a complaint with the state attorney general's consumer protection unit and consider filing suit against them for unfair and deceptive business practices. Also, tell them you will report them to the Better Business Bureau in addition to filing the complaint with the Attorney General's Office.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This sounds great. How can I complain?
Contact your state attorney general's consumer affairs division to file a complaint and if they cannot resolve the issue then you would need to get an attorney to represent you and file an unfair and deceptive practices suit against the company.