Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Yesterday, I asked a question regarding the requirement to

Customer Question
produce documents to a shareholder...
Yesterday, I asked a question regarding the requirement to produce documents to a shareholder of an s corp. The answer was yes we have to provide documents. Now I want to know do I have to provide all requested like the capital contributions of others or the
lack of capital contribution of other stock holders. does the law specifiy what documents
are required. The s corporation officers want to get reimburesed by the requesting stock holder for the work required because the requestor stock holder is asking for documents from 1/1/2000 ten years ago. is there a time limit that the s corp is obligated to produce
documents? DOES THE SCORP HAVE TO GO BACK SO MANY YEARS. THERE MUST BE A TIME LIMIT?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
8/3/2010
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
The law specifies that the corporate books, balance sheets and minutes of meetings need to be disclosed. As far as personal investment information from each shareholder, this is not something that needs to be revealed unless they sue for devaluing stock prices and then you would have to disclose it. The furthest back the corporation would be liable for holding their books is 7 years, not 10 years. At this point it appears they are seeking some serious information, so you should consider getting your corporate attorney involved before you surrender to their demands.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney