MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

Topic Webmaster being sued I did a large website for

Topic: Webmaster being sued

I did a large website for a client of mine. ($13000) It was still in the test phase when she let me go. Everything seemed to be working fine except for one small bug which I would have fixed if she kept me on. She had the code reviewed by an 'expert' and his response was very unprofessional saying i must have gone to the 'Elmer Fudd' school of programming and that all the php program code and database work was worthless because it did not conform to standards. He said it all had to be replaced (even though the site was working). He told her she was robbed and should ask for her money back.

She is in Florida. I am in California (actually in Mexico but my mailing address is in Califonria). Her lawyer wrote me a letter asking for $6000 saying if I did not send it he would advise her of her legal options.

I did everything she asked me to do. She would send me her requirements. I would program them then she would test them. Then I would send an invoice and she would pay it. (There were about 15 invoices in total). She never requested a particular style of code.

My question:
Is there any particular style of code required by law? Is there any industry standard that can be defined by 'experts' and hold up in court?

Unfortunately, she has lots of money and seems really upset. She believes him that the code is worthless.

What should I do? I still have all her emails ( 935 of them, mostly agreeable) and the program code and logs.

Thanks for your help.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the post, no there is not a specific code required by law. However, industry standards do prevail, and to the extent your work failed to conform to those standards she would have grounds to question to value of your work. You should not issue a refund if the website you designed functioned as directed and was reasonably reliable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>Who defines the industry standards?</p><p> </p><p>Should I communicate with her lawyer or just ignor it?</p><p> </p><p> </p>
This may sound illogical, but the industry actually defines the industry standards. Most commonly, the standards are established by common use (i.e. what other experts are doing).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last question - Should I respond to their letter or ignor it?
You should respond to the letter.