Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am interested in forming a foundation so that I can fundraise

for 2 non-profit organizations....
I am interested in forming a foundation so that I can fundraise for 2 non-profit organizations. I have self-published a book that should be available by early September. How much will it cost and how long will it take? I live on Long Island and would like to do this as inexpensively as possible, as the money is coming out of my own funds. I am not a rich person, but am committed to raising money for this cause. Can you please e-mail me [email protected] with the answer or your recommendations? Thank you.
8/2/2010
FLCORPLAWYER
FLCORPLAWYER, Attorney
You can incorporate a Not For Profit corporation with the State of New York directly by going on their corporations website. then you can apply for non-profit status with the IRS. Instructions can be found at IRS.gov. It will cost you only the NY filing fee.
No. That's different from the foundation that only raises money. I currently work for a non-profit, 501 (c) 3. That needs a full board of trustees, etc. Is there anything simpler that I can do so that I can have an easier way of depositing the money raised and then giving it to the charities?
I do not understand why you feel it necessary to pass funds for the two charities through yet another foundation. Why not solicit the donations directly to the charities? If you insist on doing it your way, then in fact you are a full fledged foundation which chooses where it's donations go and I believe you must be a non-profit as well.
FLCORPLAWYER
FLCORPLAWYER, Attorney
FLCORPLAWYER
FLCORPLAWYER
FLCORPLAWYER, Attorney