Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

can the unfair competition law be used to negate the personal

can the unfair competition law be used to negate the personal asset protection afforded by an LLC - have the courts decided that unfair competition is tortious conduct for the purpose of making a defendant's personal assets liable to seizure
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
No, unfair competition is not tortious conduct such that will justify piercing the corporate veil of the LLC. The only way you can get to the personal assets is if you prove he commingled funds of the LLC with his personal assets (or one of the many other factors the courts consider when piercing the corporate veil) and this piercing of the corporate veil is something that is rarely done by the court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. The LLC probably has no attachable assets, since he has not filed an answer and the judgment amount would be $2 million. One of the other causes of action is racketeering but at this point only the LLC appears on the pleading. So I suppose we could file an amended complaint naming the LLC as the enterprise through which the racketeering was conducted and himself and his other partner in the LLC, his wife, as the perpetrators and then attempting to seize their assets. What do you think?
You would have to make a showing to pierce the corporate veil to show the LLC is merely his "alter ego." See: Piercing the Corporate veil

You will need to do your homework and search your local case law regarding cases where the courts have pierced the corporate veil and you would have to apply those cases to your arguments as to why you should be allowed to attach his personal assets.